The City of Prince George recognises that local organisations work hard and have many ideas on how to boost the community. To that end, the City provides grants and financial assistance programs to help groups meet their goals of enhancing PG for all who live here.
Watch a video about the City's grant programs
SportPG Hosting Grant
The SportPG Grant financially supports local non-profit organisations that host sporting events which attract participants and visitors to Prince George.
Applicants can apply throughout the year.
The adjudication process may take up to eight (8) weeks for applications that are complete and in order. Approved grants are in line with, "This is SportPG" missions and goals, a strategy developed in partnership between the Tourism Prince George and the City of Prince George.
Learn more about the "This is SportPG" sport tourism strategy [PDF]
SportPG Hosting Grant Eligibility
- Be a registered non-profit organisation that is in good standing and located in Prince George. Partnerships with a local non-profit sporting organisation may be considered.
- Demonstrate the financial and organisational capacity to host the event being applied for.
- Be in good financial standing with the City of Prince George. Organisations with outstanding receivables with the City are ineligible.
- Provide a viable business plan for the event detailing the objectives, action plan, volunteer and organisational structure, timelines and budget (upon request).
- Be a sporting event that takes place over more than one day.
- Attract a significant number of out-of-town participants who generate at least one overnight stay in paid accommodations.
- Incorporate an intensive amount of competitions in those event days.
- Occur within the City of Prince George limits. Applicants whose events fall outside of the City limits may be considered if the event clearly demonstrates the majority of services - such as accommodations and food and beverage - are being provided within Prince George.
- Events offering prize money.
- Events operated by a for-profit business.
- Events receiving funding through the Major Sport Events Hosting program (see the "Forms and Additional Information" section)
- Events that have already occurred.
- Funding will not be provided to support the bidding process for events.
Successful applicants must also satisfy the following conditions:
- Complete a final report within sixty (60) days of the event's completion. The report must include:
- Number of volunteers
- Number of local athletes, coaches and officials
- Number of out-of-town athletes, coaches and officials
- Number of local spectators (estimates if the event is not ticketed)
- Number of out-of-town spectators (estimates if the event is not ticketed)
- Final financial statement
- Include the SportPG logo on any printed materials, the event website, and social media (where applicable). Exposure must be at the same level or greater than other funders of equal value. Copies of these materials must be included in the final report. Please contact the City for suitable logos, including the respective logo branding standards.
- Supply a minimum of three (3) three high-resolution photographs which are of sufficient quality to be used for promotional materials. The City of Prince George and Tourism Prince George must be given copyright permissions to use these photos for promotional or educational purposes. Photo submissions will indicate copyright permissions given. If photo credits are required, these must be provided.
- Prior to the event, provide event website address and social media information including hashtags being used for the event.
- Display the SportPG banner on-site during the event in a visible location. The City can provide this banner.
- Within sixty (60) days, email a post-event survey to registered participants. A copy of the survey will be supplied by Tourism Prince George.
SportPG Hosting Grant Funding Details
The SportPG Hosting Grant funding is based on participant numbers and whether the event’s scope is Regional, Provincial, Western Canadian, National or International. For the funding outline below, “participants” will include athletes, coaches and field of play officials:
- Regional (50 per cent or more of participants located outside of city limits) --
- Provincial (75 per cent or more participants located over 235 km from City) --
- Western Canada (participants from BC, AB, SK and MB) --
- National (75 per cent or more participants from out of province) --
- International (75 per cent or more participants from outside of Canada) --
Upon grant approval, successful recipients will receive 50 per cent of the approved funds prior to the sporting event based on the estimated number of eligible participants outlined in the application. The exact amount of the remaining funding will be determined after the event is completed, the number of participants is confirmed, and the final report is approved by the City. Lower numbers of actual participants than anticipated will result in a lower grant allocation.
The Adjudication Committee consists of staff members from Tourism Prince George and City of Prince George.
SportPG Hosting Grant Application Forms and Additional Information
The City of Prince George reserves the right to request additional financial information at any point during the granting process.
The City recognizes some events may present unique opportunities and challenges that are not addressed in this program. In certain unique and exceptional circumstances, the City - in partnership with Tourism Prince George - may adjust the program.
Large-scale sporting events where considerable Hosting Right Fees, Multi-Sport Games (I.E. Canada Games), or Financial Guarantees are required are considered outside this grant program. The typical level of staffing and financial resource commitments needed by such events exceed the scope of the SportPG Hosting Grant and requires City Council approval.
For these types of event requests and for
additional information or questions about the SportPG Hosting Grant or the Major Sport Event Hosting program, contact Community Partnerships at 250-561-7640.
Apply now for a SportPG Hosting Grant
Community Enhancement Grants
The Enhance PG Committee's Community Enhancement Grant is an opportunity to encourage community groups, non-profit societies, neighbourhoods, and businesses to take on projects and improve the city through grant matching with the City of Prince George.
The deadline for 2017's grant has lapsed. The next application intake will be on:
Community Enhancement Grant Application Forms
Note: Applicants may apply for a grant of between $200-$1000. Funds are not available to cover operating and/or ongoing expenses. Matching funds will be considered under the following categories:
- Volunteer labour (at current minimum wage)
- Donated material and supplies
- Donated equipment
- A combination of money, volunteer labour, donated materials and supplies and donated equipment
- E.G. A group applying for $400 must show they have at least $400 worth of money, volunteer labour, donated materials and supplies, or donated equipment to put towards the project.
Submissions that include an element of sustainability are encouraged.
Celebrate Prince George Community Grant
The City of Prince George in partnership with Tourism Prince George has developed the Celebrate Prince George Community Grant to financially support and assist in the growth and development of new and existing events to create a city brimming with excitement.
The objective of the Celebrate Prince George Community Grant is to enhance current events or develop new events that increase community pride and focus on attracting visitors.
New for 2018 applications: Events that occur anytime throughout the year may be eligible for assistance.
The deadline for 2019 grant applications is March 15, 2018.
Celebrate Prince George Grant Eligibility
There are two funding categories:
1. Emerging Tourism Events:
- Local events that show an economic return, attract media exposure, and market and attract tourists.
- Term: 1- 3 year terms are available with a maximum annual grant contribution of $5,000*
2. Signature Tourism Events:
- Major tourism events that show an economic return and attract significant media exposure, sponsors, and attendance including tourists. Only festivals and events that have demonstrated three (3) years of successful growth and stability as well as have a minimum $50,000 event operating budget are eligible to apply under this category.
- Term: 1- 3 year terms are available with a maximum annual grant contribution of $15,000*
*Recipients awarded with multi-year grant terms are not required to re-submit an application form in subsequent years provided the City has received and accepted their annual Post Event Evaluation Form from the previous year.
2019 Event Definitions and Grant Criteria
- Only registered non-profit societies or registered charities are eligible.
- A minimum of 50% of requested funding must be used for marketing and needs to be clearly identified in the application, budget and, if successful, demonstrated in the evaluation.
- Successful applications need to demonstrate how they are meeting these grant criteria:
- Outline the enhancement or creation of an event and how it will positively impact the event
- Demonstrate that the organisation has the capacity to execute the event
- Indicate how the event will focus on building and measuring local attendance and will effectively reach the identified target audience(s), including out of town visitation and overnight stays
- Show that the event will not duplicate other initiatives
- Present a proposed budget that is sufficiently detailed, reasonable and balanced and demonstrates how the funds will be leveraged to increase overall budget
- Detail how the event enhances Prince George and promotes it as a great place to live and visit
- Exhibit how the event fosters partnerships and celebrates civic spaces and organisations
- Outline how the event promotes cultural richness, local arts, history and attractions as well as equality, inclusivity and accessibility
- The event must be held within the city limits of the City of Prince George and be open to the public and promoted as such.
The application deadline for
ALL 2019 events is March 15, 2018. This is a change from the 2017 process. Notification will be made within six weeks of the application deadline. Funds will be available for distribution in January 2019.
Funding decisions are based on available funds, quality of applications, adherence to the outlined criteria and applicants may not get the full amount requested. Please be thorough in your application. Late or incomplete applications will not be considered.
Please note: Applicants wishing to have submissions reviewed in advance to ensure completion or to get feedback may send it to Jen Tkachuk at a minimum of two weeks before the deadline.
For more information and to return the application please contact:
Civic Events Coordinator
Need help, ideas, and tips on how to write the application?
Watch the Northern Development Initiative Trust's grant webinar
Celebrate Prince George Grant Application Forms
ALL 2019 events is March 15, 2018. This is a change from the 2017 process.
The application deadline for
Funding decisions are based on available funds, quality of applications, adherence to the outlined criteria and applicants may not get the full amount requested. Please be thorough in the application. Late or incomplete applications will not be considered.
Download the 2018 Celebrate Prince George Grant Application [PDF]
MyPG Community Grants
MyPG Community Grants help local organisations develop and implement innovative activities, projects, and events that contribute to improving the local community.
The City accepts grant applications twice per calendar year. Organisations can submit different project applications for both intakes, however Council's interest in financially supporting diverse groups and initiatives will be considered in the adjudication process. Grant criteria have also been expanded to include innovative local events that focus on enhancing the quality of life for Prince George residents.
Application deadlines for the 2018 grant are:
March 15, 2018 at 4:30pm
October 15, 2018 at 4:30pm
MyPG Community Grant Eligibility
Eligible activities can be large or small and activities or projects must be accessible to residents of all backgrounds, ethnicities, and income levels. Grant applications will be evaluated based on whether the proposed initiative(s):
- Increase community pride
- Encourage a safe community
- Provide social connections for citizens
- Encourage physical activity
- Provide opportunities for involvement in arts and culture
- Ensure equity and inclusion
Additional Eligibility Criteria
- Applicants must ensure there are other cash or in-kind contributions to support the project.
- Projects/events must be within City of Prince George boundaries.
- A letter of support from the relevant department is required for projects operating on City lands or parks.
The MyPG Community Grant will
- For profit businesses
- Payment of City property taxes
- Capital projects
- Professional development/conferences
- Projects or events that have already taken place
- Beautification projects (public art projects may be eligible)
- School activities (activities that don't demonstrate significant involvement of community residents)
MyPG Community Grant Application Forms
Please ensure proposed projects and initiatives support the grant criteria and eligibility requirements before filling out a grant application. The City of Prince George will consider alignment with criteria, degree of innovation, collaboration with partner organisations, and potential to positively impact large numbers of local residents when evaluating applications.
The review of grant applications normally takes six (6) to eight (8) weeks and allocations are generally $8,000 or less. Application forms and other related documents will be posted when the next submission intake is active.
KidSport is a national non-profit organisation that provides financial assistance for children eighteen (18) and under to participate in organised sport. More than half a million children across Canada have been given the chance to play a sport through KidSport grants since the organisation was founded in 1993.
Leisure Access Program
The Leisure Access Program (LAP) provides opportunities for residents with limited income to participate in a variety of recreational activities. Leisure Access participants receive:
- Fifty-two (52) complimentary public swimming or skating admissions.
- Seventy-five (75) per cent off 10-visit passes, monthly, or annual swimming passes if the 52 complimentary admissions have been used.
- Seventy-five (75) per cent off programs ($50.00 credit maximum) such as swimming lessons and Community Association programs.
- Free Prince George Transit for children 12 and under on Saturdays and Sundays when accompanied by an adult.
Leisure Access Program Eligibility
Applicants must be permanent residents of Prince George and meet one of the two following criteria:
- Have an annual income in the previous/current year that is below the Statistics Canada Low Income Guidelines (see application form for details).
- Receive a BC Seniors Supplement that is below the Statistics Canada Low Income Guidelines.
Eligible applicant(s) may have one of the following referral agencies apply on their behalf:
- Ministry of Children and Family Development
- Ministry of Social Development and Social Innovation
- Community Living BC
- Carrier Sekani Family Services
- Nezul Be Hunuyeh Child and Family Services Society
Travel Grants help young artists, artisans, athletes, individuals, and teams participate in the arts, culture, amateur recreation, sports and competition at the zone, regional, provincial, Western Canadian, national, and international levels. Grant recipients are recognised as representatives of Prince George and the City offers this assistance to help offset event participation costs.
Travel Grant Funding Details
Travel Grant Application Forms